Basically I tore my ACL ligament in my left knee. It wasn’t even that cool of a crash or anything. At least if it’s gonna blow, you may as well do it on something cool. All I did was a switch heelside 540. I saw some boat rollers coming down the lake so I actually got excited. I figured I would use it as a mini double up and do a switch 7. Instead I stopped myself at 5.
I landed just past the wake in the hard spot. As I landed I simply squatted down and fell back slowly. As I landed I just felt my knee roll outward just a tiny bit and “POP, POP”. I have torn my knee before so instantly I knew what I did.
The guys filming in the chase boat came to me and I told them I just tore my knee. They didn’t believe me ’cause it looked like a normal crash. I guess the only way I could have prevented it is that I could have used my CTI knee brace. I hadn’t worn a brace on that leg in over a year though.
Was this a re-injury or was this a good knee? How is it different from your other knee injuries?
I did this knee back in 2005 and re-injured it 6 months after surgery in 2006 because I was filming for the Liquid Force team movie The Truth and was pushing it too hard when I should not have been. It was better this time because I didn’t tear any maniscus this time like I did the others.
To read the full interview with Collin Harrington check out www.fuel.tv.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: IAN CRANE IN "TEXAS MADE"
- MEET: IMOGEN CALDWELL
- Welcome to Team O'Neill: Imogen Caldwell
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith