The NSSA Interscholastic State Championships finished this past weekend at Huntington Beach Pier in the continuing relentless El Nino winter that produced wet and unruly conditions. Despite the cold winds and rain squalls the surf was punchy and offered great opportunity to really showcase the surfers ability.
San Clemente’s Shore Cliffs Middle school took down the Championship with Colton Ward leading the charge and winning his first ever state title. He surfed smart and calculated by picking off the left-against-the-grain where he was able to get a series of nice slash’s in the pocket and top off his waves with a nice finishing turn on the beach. When the horn blew he was heavily cheered by the whole San Clemente crew on the beach.
In the Highschool Junior Varsity Divsion Josh Giddings posted the best single wave score of the finals with a wave punctuated with multiple slashes and vertical backside re-entries garnering 7.5. Then with two minutes to go he was in the hunt for a 5.2 and found and inside runner and put together a solid wave with three turns in succession but came away with a 5.1. Painfully close but a great display of surfing none the less.
Rounding out the Highschool Varsity finals was Ian Crane and Shaw Kobayashi who placed 4th and 5th respectively. They had trouble finding the waves that connected to the inside reform, but with their results they helped catapult San Clemente Highschool over Huntington Beach becoming the 2010 NSSA Highschool Champions.
Congratulations to Shore Cliffs Middle School and San Clemente High for the their collective efforts and Championship dominance! Congratulations to the athletes that made it happen.
For more details go to www.nssa.org
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame
- O’Neill Cocoa Beach Challenge
- Corona Pro Circuit – Stop #2
- Sebastián Correa Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter Reader’s Choice for January