2010 has been a big year for Jordy. He made the quarters or better in every event except one, he ranked 2nd on the World Tour at the end of the year, 3rd in Surfer Poll and received the Best Manouever Award at the Surfer Poll. As 2010 draws to a close, Jordy wanted (ok, needed) a haircut before heading home to Durban, so we tagged along to ask him all the dumb questions we could think of while he got a trim.
O’Neill – Looking back on the last year, what memories stick out to you the most?
Jordy – The end of Hawaii, knowing that the year is done and finishing in second was pretty good.
O’Neill – What board do you keep year after year as your go-to board?
Jordy – My Al Merrick flyer, 6′-1 1/2″. Its the one I get the best results when the waves are really bad.
O’Neill – What music do you listen to before your heats?
Jordy – I have different ones. Before the finals at J-Bay my pre-heat song was the B-52’s “Private Idaho.”
O’Neill – What projects are you looking forward to in 2011?
Jordy – Definitely my own project, but also ‘Lost Atlas,’ a new movie that Kai Neville is working on. I’ve done a few trips for it already and I’ve seen some footage. It looks really good.
O’Neill – Do you have any new moves you are working on?
Jordy – I’ve been working on a backside Superman quite a bunch, just trying to get it down. There’s no real name for it.
O’Neill – Who do you like to travel with?
Jordy – I like traveling with my friends. You know? That’s the best thing about surf trips, its because you are with your friends.
O’Neill – Scariest moment?
Jordy – Dodgeball, rolling my ankle. It was a pretty bad one. I thought I was going to be out for a while.
O’Neill – When you need to unwind where do you go?
Jordy – I just head home. Surf with friends, go out with friends, hang with the family, just have a good time.
O’Neill – Any advice for the groms?
Jordy – Just have fun! Go mad and enjoy yourself.
O’Neill – What are the pro’s and con’s about living with Garth?
Jordy – The worst would by tidying up everything, and the best would be he pays for my iTunes account.
O’Neill – Best food stop while on the North Shore?
Jordy – The Waialua Bakery, turkey cheese and avacado.
O’Neill – What are you going to do when you get home?
Jordy – Relax, get some good waves, go to Cape Town for New Years, enjoy Christmas with my family and surf New Pier with all the boys.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame
- O’Neill Cocoa Beach Challenge
- Surf Muse: Kiana Fores
- Corona Pro Circuit – Stop #2
- Sebastián Correa Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter Reader’s Choice for January