I was recently selected to experience a once in a lifetime adventure and new educational experience pertaining to the environment aboard the Sea Dragon. The Sea Dragon is a sleek 72 foot Steel Hull boat sailing around the world to study the 5 Gyres (a sea current where garbage/debris accumulates) and the effects they have on our ecosystems.
I will be joining a elite crew of scientists, writers and film makers to study the South Atlantic Gyre and the effects of plastic in our oceans. We depart for Rio, Brazil this Tuesday, Nov. 3 for a 28 day crossing and land in Cape Town, South Africa tentatively Dec. 11 (if all goes smoothly). Predicted by ocean models but never verified, this trip will take an important first look into this part of the world’s oceans. It’s going to be a journey of a lifetime…
Read My Journals:
Sea Dragon Journal 11-10
There will be no emailing and very little to no communication from me while away. For those who are interested in following our scientific adventure you can find GPS where the boat is presently.
Find more about 5 Gyres organization and how to get involved.
Read about daily ship blogs and what we are up to.
There is also great way for kids, students, schools and universities to get involved and ask questions directly to the people aboard the Sea Dragon. Over 1500 schools have joined in so please pass along to anyone who is interested and get signed up. I would love to hear from all of you while we are at sea…
For more information visit interaction at sea.
Special thanks to my sponsors O’Neill, Boost Mobile, Pacific Edge Hotel and XS Energy drinks for donating some funding to this great organization. If anyone you know or a company wants to get involved, every little bit helps.
I want to personally thank you all for your ongoing support.
Like I’ve always said, you only get one life. So you better live and live it I do…
See you when I return home! Happy Holidays!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame
- O’Neill Cocoa Beach Challenge
- Surf Muse: Kiana Fores
- Corona Pro Circuit – Stop #2
- Sebastián Correa Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter Reader’s Choice for January