Five years ago today, Kalani Chapman wave of the winter
A quick excerpt from Kalani’s wave.
Eight- to 10 feet, howling offshore. North Shore charger Kalani Chapman caught six or seven bombs that day, but the one that stood out– the one that won the inaugural O’Neill Wave of the Winter — was a thick, deep, spitting, beautiful beast of a wave. He pulled in, hands clasped in prayer as a blessing for Andy.
“It was still one of the best swells I’ve ever seen out there,” Chapman remembered yesterday. “Pretty much Second Reef, howling offshore winds, really beautiful and sunny — the day you look for to get Wave of the Winter. It was they after Andy’s funeral. I flew home from Kaui ’cause I knew it was gonna be really good the next day. I just wanted to pay respects to him somehow. And that’s the one way I ended up doing it.”
Read about the wave on Surfline.
The post Five years ago today, Kalani Chapman wave of the winter appeared first on O'Neill.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame