Ian Crane Wins North Shore Surf Shop Pro Junior
Ian Crane of San Clemente celebrates his first ASP Pro Junior win at the 2013 North Shore Surf Shop Pro Junior, January 25 at Sunset Beach.
Photo by Heff
From Dana Point Times:
Ian Crane, 19, of San Clemente started his competition season off right by winning the 2013 North Shore Surf Shop Pro Junior on January 25, at Sunset Beach on Oahu.
The Association of Surfing Professionals event gathered a group of more than 100 of the world’s best junior surfers under the age of 21 to compete at the iconic North Shore break.
The competitors were treated to perfect 6- to 8-foot waves that kept building through the semis and into the afternoon finals.
Crane said he was so grateful to have made the final—his first ever in pro junior competition—that he wasn’t really feeling much pressure or nerves as he paddled out.
“I was just happy to be surfing in the final,” Crane said. “I got the wave that ended up being my back-up early, then during the middle of the heat I just kept catching waves and falling.”
As time ticked off the clock, Crane said he was so focused on what he was doing out there he wasn’t really thinking about much else besides putting himself into position for a second good wave.
“I didn’t have much time to think because the lineup is so big at Sunset—it’s constant paddling and looking for waves. I was never really sure what place I was in, so I just kept trying to better my first wave,” he said.
In the final minutes of the heat, Crane said he found himself the farthest surfer on the outside when he spotted the wave that would offer up his winning ride.
Ian Crane picked up the score he needed, an 8.50, in the final minutes of his heat to take the win.
Photo by Latronic
“A wave in the 8-foot range just came to me. It was almost like it was meant to happen,” Crane said. “I rode it but wasn’t sure if I got the score I needed so I sprint paddled back out to the lineup to try for another. I sprint paddled back out but no one else caught a wave in the rest of the heat.”
The judges awarded him a score of 8.50 (out of 10) for the win but Crane returned to the beach not knowing he had pulled it off.
“I didn’t really know I won until I got to the beach because I couldn’t hear scores out there. Kolohe (Andino) was caddying for me and when I got the beach he told me he thought that I won, but I wasn’t too sure,” Crane said.
“I couldn’t really believe it was true at first. When it sunk in, I was just so happy. It seemed like everything finally came together for me.”
Crane said he will enjoy the moment and then refocus and move on to the next challenge.
His goal for the season is to finish among the top 4 of the ASP Pro Junior ratings and earn a spot in the World Junior competition. He will also continue surfing ASP Pro qualifying events hoping to place in the Top 100 in the One World Rankings, where he is currently ranked at number 164.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: IAN CRANE IN "TEXAS MADE"
- RUSSELL BIERKE - QUALIFIES FOR WSL BIG WAVE WORLD TOUR
- MEET: IMOGEN CALDWELL
- The 32nd Edition Corona Pro Circuit - O'Neill Series
- Welcome to Team O'Neill: Imogen Caldwell
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith