Being a professional athlete takes dedication, perseverance and courage. Courage to challenge yourself in the most demanding circumstances and courage to believe in yourself.
O’Neill surf pro, Malia Manuel, knows first hand what it means to experience both triumph and fear in her professional career.
In any sport, predictability can’t be calculated. As much as we train, knowing what will happen next is impossible, especially when Mother Nature calls the shots. The scariest moment in my career was when I split my ear in half in Costa Rica. I fell on a wave and it felt like I blew out my ear drum. I didn’t know if it was the nose of the board or the fin that hit me, but I was stunned and in extreme pain. Luckily, the damage was only cosmetic! I ended up with 14 stitches in my ear lobe.
My most proud moment was getting crowned “Rookie of the Year” for last year’s ASP Women’s World Tour and getting inducted alongside the past winners who are all so talented. I was surrounded in a room with all the best surfers in the world and past legends. It was a dream come true.
There you have it – Inside Surfing with Malia Manuel.
Have any questions for Malia? Let us know below!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: IAN CRANE IN "TEXAS MADE"
- RUSSELL BIERKE - QUALIFIES FOR WSL BIG WAVE WORLD TOUR
- MEET: IMOGEN CALDWELL
- The 32nd Edition Corona Pro Circuit - O'Neill Series
- Welcome to Team O'Neill: Imogen Caldwell
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career