Today’s “Lifestyle Thursday” is inspired by our amazing Hawaiian team rider Kiana Fores.
Because of her Hawaiian roots and love of healthy eating, we bring you a delicious Pineapple Upside Down Muffin recipe. Perfect for a healthy treat!
Servings: 1 dozen muffins
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 1 hr
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- 1 10-ounce can pineapple slices
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, (not drained)
- 1 cup grated carrot, (1 large)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup raisins, preferably baking raisins (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar into each muffin cup. Sprinkle nuts, if using, over the sugar. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.
- To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in oil, juice and vanilla. Stir in crushed pineapple. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in carrot, oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch, 15 to 25 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Restore any stray pineapple pieces and nuts. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside-down, either warm or at room temperature.
Ingredient Note: Baking raisins, moister than regular ones, ensure a better texture. To substitute regular raisins, plump them first: soak in boiling water for 10 minutes; drain well.
Calories 211, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 185 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 4 g, Potassium 152 mg. Exchanges: Starch 2, Fruit 0.5, Fat 1.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
*recipe brought to you by Fitness Magazine
The post Lifestyle Thursday – Pineapple Upside Down Muffins appeared first on O'Neill.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Style Muse Diaries: Florida Springs
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Surf Muse: Neva Kaya
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Festival Hair and Make Up Tips From Karolina Bernat
- Stab – Full Frame
- O’Neill Cocoa Beach Challenge
- Surf Muse: Kiana Fores
- Corona Pro Circuit – Stop #2
- Festival Styling Tips With Melodi Meadows