As Mother’s Days approaches, we remember all that is wonderful of the women we call our mothers.
With all the scrapes, bruises, and broken hearts we’ve experienced in our lives, mom has always been the one to our rescue.
O’Neill surf pro, Malia Manuel can’t agree more. With her intense training regimen and her crazy travel schedule, Momma Manuel has come to be Malia’s home away from home and her MVP.
My mom started taking me to contests when I was 8 years old. It became my mom’s habit to accompany me to contests since my dad always had to work on the weekends. Fast forward 11 years later, I’m on the World Tour and we’re still traveling together.
It’s really comforting to have someone so close travel with you. It’s like your own slice of home while you’re away. A lot of people on Tour travel with their family members because it’s much easier to be on your own schedule and do what you want without imposing on a friend.
Our families really help a lot of us on Tour because they’re willing to sacrifice everything for you and that’s the kind of support you need when you’re on the World Tour.
The surfers sacrifice a lot themselves and to have the support and comfort of family means a lot.
I’m so thankful to have her by my side and get to experience all the wonderful opportunities with her.
Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers!!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame
- O’Neill Cocoa Beach Challenge
- Surf Muse: Kiana Fores
- Corona Pro Circuit – Stop #2
- Sebastián Correa Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter Reader’s Choice for January