When we got word that Ian was land locked for a week we jumped on the opportunity to get our first of many ‘Phone Tap’ interviews. Each month we will be featuring a new athlete. Ian cut the ribbon lets see how it goes…
What’s new with Ian Crane?
I tweaked my ankle doing a pro-am competition in the final and I haven’t surfed in about a week. I’m starting to lose my mind but the doctor said I could possibly be in the water by the end of this week.
So what exactly happened to your ankle?
I was in the final and I did an air into a dumpy section and I came down straight with the lip as it dumped and it made a loud popping noise. haha They had to carry me outta the water it was so embarrassing. I was pretty freaked out it didn’t really hurt actually yeah it really hurt. I was just more scared then anything. It’s alright it’s not broken or anything.
What is your plan for 2013?
My plan for 2013 competition wise is I really want to qualify for the world juniors kind of pissed off actually really pissed off that I’m not there right now. I wanna qualify for that for sure. I also want to be in the top 100, 120 on the WQS so I could be in all the prime events and then just to go on surf trips, get better at surfing, get barreled, surf good waves, and just have fun.
How do you describe the surf scene today?
The surf scene is a big group of people everyone knows each other, there is favorites, there’s gossip, everyone has an opinion, and everyone thinks the same thing. I don’t no the surf scene is the surf scene I don’t know its just group of people and everyone is worried about doing the same thing which is surfing and it’s fun.
Are you an air guy?
Am I an air guy ahh… I guess I enjoy doing airs
What’s missing in modern surfing?
I don’t really know if there is anything missing but it would nice if there was some sort of wave pool where in skating they get the same ramp same rail so they could perfect their tricks. In surfing there’s nothing really like that but at the same time that is what makes surfing so cool. There’s always something new and different so I guess the thing missing in surfing is perfection but perfection isn’t always the best thing.
Anything else you need to tell the world?
Nope I think that’s it…..
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame
- O’Neill Cocoa Beach Challenge
- Surf Muse: Kiana Fores
- Corona Pro Circuit – Stop #2
- Sebastián Correa Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter Reader’s Choice for January