Some 290 miles out to sea between Brazil and South Africa, it is almost impossible to try and think about what lies ahead of me for the next month. Just getting to Brazil was a trip in itself. Three flights, 15 hours of transit and one long crazy two-hour car ride, we (Mary Osborne and I) finally made it.
Unfortunately wires got crossed and there was no one waiting to pick us up once we had arrived at the airport. Luckily we jumped a cab and settled into a hotel in Copa Cabana. Before taking yet another two hour cab ride to a beautiful crystal green colored bay where the 72-foot Sea Dragon sat anchored, just outside of the harbor.
For the first four days we just cruised around the local islands. One day we found some fun waves to surf where the water was so clear you could see one’s surfboard through the wave.
Now we are down to business and on a course set towards South Africa. We will be trawling along the way for the effects of plastic pollution that plague our oceans today, before coming face to face with the never-before-seen South Atlantic Gyre.
Yesterday was a long day for me as I was on watch up on the deck from 12:00-6:00 PM and then again from 2:00-6:00 AM as somewhat stormy windy and wet conditions came in. So far the majority of the 13-person crew has gotten sick except for about four or five us. The main sail has now ripped and it’s only our second full day at sea. You can find out exactly where we are through our GPS. On this unique expedition to find the South Atlantic Gyre, I would be remiss to say it should be interesting, but for now I’m going back to sleep.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells