Seth Moniz leads O’Neill Wave of the Winter Breakthrough Performer Award
To say it’s been a busy late season on the North Shore would be an understatement.
Pipe swell after Pipe swell, crazy barrel after crazy barrel. And while Derek and Michael Ho have been holding down the 50+ club, there have been no shortage of relative young ‘uns snagging their fair share.
Here’s why that matters: Running in tandem with the O’Neill Wave of the Winter and Clif Bar Overall Performance Award, the O’Neill Breakthrough Performer Award is in its second year. It’s a youth-driven category, celebrating the performance of a single surfer, 19 years old or younger, who rises above all other groms through sustained, standout performances along the Seven Mile Miracle from November through February. Last year, it was Jack Robinson who took the honor of the hardest-charging kid on the North Shore and $5,000 in cold, hard cash.
“This winter it’s been difficult to pinpoint a single surfer, as there is currently a real solid group of kids that have been charging on the North Shore,” said Ross Williams, Momentum Generation CT star-turned-WSL commentator and O’Neill Wave of the Winter judge. “Barron Mamiya, Seth Moniz, Finn McGill, and Crosby and Griffin Colapinto have been consistent all winter, charging every swell. And in the latest run of big Pipe, I’ve heard Russell Bierke was getting some bombs.”
Read the rest of the article here.
The post Seth Moniz leads O’Neill Wave of the Winter Breakthrough Performer Award appeared first on O'Neill.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame