Torrey Meister claimed the 2013 O’Neill Coldwater Classic Invitational title today earning the enviable winner-take-all yearlong O’Neill sponsorship worth $50,000. With an unconventional new format pitting 16 mostly unsponsored surfers against each other for one grand prize, the ASP Specialty Event ran today in pumping conditions at Steamer Lane.
Round One’s draw set the event up for local triumphs, upsets, and legitimate opportunities for each competitor to prove they could compete on the elite level. The biggest upset came at the hands of Huntington Beach’s Billy Hopkins when he eliminated Granger Larson, who is currently one position away from qualifying for the 2014 World Tour. Santa Cruz’s Shaun Burns and Noi Kaulukukui used their local wave knowledge to defeat Cory Arrambide, a successful amateur competitor from California, and Dion Atkinson, No. 35 on the One World Rankings, respectively.
The Quarters kicked off with a Hawaiian heat between Hank Gaskell and Torrey Meister. Meister started off quick with a nine-point wave (the highest of the event up to that point) for a massive air punt on the inside section. Gaskell was unable to come back, ultimately earning Meister a Finals berth after defeating Ricardo Christie in the Semis. Local favorite Noi Kaulukukui upset Chris Waring, a runner-up in the 2008 O’Neill Coldwater Classic, in a tight heat, but lost to Australian Wade Carmichael in the Semis.
The Final was characterized by multiple lead changes, as Meister and Carmichael went wave for wave in a seesaw battle. Late in the heat, Meister led with twin 6.67s, leaving Carmichael searching for a 6.54. However, the ocean did not cooperate, and Meister took the win. Along with the trophy, Meister earned a yearlong sponsorship from O’Neill worth $50,000 to pursue his elite pro surfing aspirations.
When asked about the win, Meister responded: “I’m excited about riding for O’Neill. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a sticker on the nose of my board. It’s been great that O’Neill put this event on for us. They seem like cool people and I’m excited to ride for them.”
The post Torrey Meister Wins 2013 O’Neill Coldwater Classic Invitational appeared first on O'Neill.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- The Life of Glide
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- Surf Muse: Honolua Blomfield
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill
- Jack O’Neill 1923-2017
- The Wave Of The Winter Movie Is Officially Live
- La Vida Lopez Featuring Cory Lopez, Brett Barley & Robbie McCormick
- Team O’Neill Update: Jordy’s Road to Bells
- Golden Light Presented By Herewith
- Jordy Smith Claims Legendary Bell’s Beach Victory for the First Time in his Career
- Stab Full Frame – March
- Seth Moniz Wins O’Neill Breakthrough Performer
- Koa Rothman Wins O’Neill Wave of the Winter
- WOTW Top 10 Entries
- Best Combo I’ve Ever Pulled | Brett Barley
- Stab – Full Frame