Traveling for some stays an idea or daydream. For others like Karson, our sixth Surf Muse, its a necessity and a way of life. Always on the go searching for the swell and making the most out of journey's in far off lands. We've had (heart emoji eyes) from her latest trip to a small surf village in Morocco. Read her full interview and see her photo diary of the experience below.
Where are you from? Where are you going?
I’m technically from Charlotte, North Carolina. But grew up living in Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina every summer which is where I learned to surf. For now, I’m just surfing, working and getting ideas together for my next trip. I’ve recently started the hunt for that place I would be okay with never leaving (but would definitely still travel from). Don’t get me wrong, I love NC but I’ve been here my whole life. It’s time for a new home base.
What’s a typical day in Wrightsville Beach?
My typical day at home differs from when there are waves versus when it’s lake Atlantic. If there’s swell, I’m up at 5am making coffee, packing up the car and headed off to be in the water by first light. Surf for as long as the tide will allow, then grab some more coffee and see what unfolds for the rest of the day. When it's flat I'll watch the sunrise, exercise and get some work done!
From the looks of your Instagram, you take a lot of surf trips. Where all have you been?
I’ve just recently started traveling outside the US, so far I’ve been fortunate enough to spend time in Sri Lanka, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Morocco.
This past trip was Morocco, why?
The photos I’d seen coming from spots in Morocco have had me mind surfing there for quite some time. Once I realized how many right hand points there were, I knew I had to go. The Muslim culture in and of itself has always been intriguing to me, and it just so happened that we were there during Morocco's biggest holiday, Eid. I won't go into detail of what the holiday entails but let's just say we weren't eating with the locals that night. Another thing that had Morocco high on the travel list were its vibrant colors and patterns. I'm usually super partial to tropical destinations because I despise being cold and wearing neoprene, but so many aspects of Morocco had me itching to get there as soon as possible.
How did Morocco inspire you?
Morocco honestly re-inspired my love for longboarding. I was able to surf the longest right hand point I've ever ridden, multiple days in a row... talk about a dream. Having the time on a wave to just stand there and realize what's happening around you makes you remember why you fell in love with it in the first place.
Your Top 3 Destinations…
Ha wow this question is harder than I thought it would be. I’d have to say top three right now in no order would be the Philippines, Mentawai Islands and New Zealand. Just about everywhere is on my list!
What’s on your plane playlist?
Dope Lemon, Reggaeton, Landon McNamara, Allah Las Radio and anything by Hall & Oates
Any travel tips? Packing hacks?
They don't call me snack queen for nothing, always always always pack snacks! And have your portable charger charged. Oh and I just recently had to have my logic board replaced on my macbook... learned that lesson the hard way, better bring a voltage converter if the country you're traveling to has a different voltage than yours!
Longboarding, shortboard or both?
Anything and everything. I’ve been adding a few different shapes to my quiver in hopes of having a little something for everything. I want to be able to ride whatever is best for the conditions, whether that’s a 9’8 log or 5’4 fish. But I’ll still always love riding big boards in big waves.
It's so playful and fun. You have moments where you feel like you’re flying, levitating, walking on water or all of the above.
Describe your connection to surfing?
Surfing has always been the one thing to make me happy and the one thing I've never gotten tired of. No one else in my entire family surfed before I did, so it's cool to have something I love so much that I found the love for all on my own.
Connection to the sea?
I've been drawn to the sea since before I can even remember. Mom's told me stories from when I was little about how she could never keep me out of the water. She'd carry me back up to the beach chairs, turn her head for a few minutes and I would have already crawled my way back down to the water’s edge. I can't explain why I love the sea so much, I just know that I don't feel right without it and that everything is better with it.
Where will you be off to next?
Have something special in the works for December but that’s all I’m giving away for now!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- WATCH: WANDERING OAXACA - LEVI PRAIRIE
- WATCH: JORDY SMITH | BEYOND AFRICA
- INTRODUCING: THE SLATER COLLECTION
- WELCOME TO TEAM O'NEILL: NOAH WEGRICH
- WATCH: IDLE HANDS WITH CHRIS CHRISTENSON - CHAPTER 2
- A CONVERSATION WITH DWIGHT PASTRANA
- WATCH: JAKE KELLEY IN 'SIMULATION'
- A CONVERSATION WITH JORDY SMITH
- WATCH: #HAWAIILIVE - THE EDIT
- FAMILY FUN WITH THE LOPEZ'S
- A CONVERSATION WITH SOLI BAILEY
- WATCH: #HAWAIILIVE - EP. 4
- CONGRATULATIONS SOLI BAILEY - 2019 WCT ROOKIE
- WATCH: #HAWAIILIVE - EP. 3
- A CONVERSATION WITH ELI OLSON
- WATCH: #HAWAIILIVE - EP. 2
- WATCH: #HAWAIILIVE - EP. 1
- WATCH: DARKHORSE
- FREAK SHOW PRO RECAP
- WAVE OF THE WINTER KICKOFF - 2018/19
- WATCH: BEYOND THE TOUR - EUROPE
- A CONVERSATION WITH CHRIS CHRISTENSON
- IDLE HANDS WITH CHRIS CHRISTENSON
- STAB HIGH LIVE EVENT FEATURING IAN CRANE
- A CONVERSATION WITH HONOLUA BLOMFIELD
- WATCH: NOAH HILL IN 'STRIPLING'
- WATCH: SHOP CHRONICLES - PROOF LAB
- A CONVERSATION WITH LEVI PRAIRIE
- WATCH: BEYOND THE TOUR - SOUTH AFRICA
- WATCH: GOVERNED BY LINES
- ON IT WITH BRETT BARLEY
- WATCH: IAN CRANE IN "TEXAS MADE"
- WATCH: WAVE OF THE WINTER - THE MOVIE
- JORDY SMITH - BEYOND THE TOUR: AUSTRALIA
- RUSSELL BIERKE - QUALIFIES FOR WSL BIG WAVE WORLD TOUR
- MEET: IMOGEN CALDWELL
- The 32nd Edition Corona Pro Circuit - O'Neill Series
- Welcome to Team O'Neill: Imogen Caldwell
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE