Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
From Cabo to California, slowly, just as fast as they can.
And although he and Torrey Meister had been listening to just one song on repeat for the last 400 miles heading north from Cerritos, they’d both made five stops to take a leak since then.
Coming from Hawaiian islands where it takes a couple hours to get from one end to the other, a trip from Cabo to the US border put Torrey and Albee’s road-skills — and bladder — to the limits. As if there are any limits below the border…
But as far as that one song went, the two pro surfers from Hawaii just dug it. It was groovy. A little bit country, a little bit poppy, a lotta bit sing-able. It was the same old song, the entire, whirlwind road trip.
Sure, the great Carl Sagan defines our existence as “cosmic dust in an interstellar wind,” and the less-great band Kansas sings of a similar theory, it’s the modern great Sam Hunt that sings: “Body like a back road, drivin’ with my eyes closed…Doin’ 15 in a 30, I ain’t in no hurry: Ima take it slow just as fast as I can.”
Yes, on this fabled 1,000-mile roadtrip from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to the US border, surfing points and shorelines dotting the peninsula between the two nations, Albee and Torrey were gonna take it slow just as fast as they could. As all great journeys should be taken.
They stuck around Cerritos for a few days punting stalefish airs off the shorebreaky-ramps while eating fresh-fish at the palapas by the shorebreak. Tongue-twister, baby. They got their vehicles, Jetski and camping gear ready for the long line of blacktop ahead and left Cabo by dawn.
Read the rest of the feature on Surfline.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- A CONVERSATION WITH LEVI PRAIRIE
- ON IT WITH BRETT BARLEY
- WATCH: IAN CRANE IN "TEXAS MADE"
- RUSSELL BIERKE - QUALIFIES FOR WSL BIG WAVE WORLD TOUR
- MEET: IMOGEN CALDWELL
- The 32nd Edition Corona Pro Circuit - O'Neill Series
- WATCH: LEVI PRAIRIE IN "THE DIRTY MARTINI"
- WATCH: COLD BOYS
- WATCH: LIFE OF GLIDE
- World Longboard Champion - Honolua Blomfield
- Surf Muse: Mahina Garcia
- Surf Muse: Karson Lewis
- On The Tea
- Jordy Smith - Beyond the Tour
- Jordy Extends Lead in Title Race
- Surf Muse: Amber Mozo
- Jordy Smith Is Currently The Best Surfer In The World According to the WSL ranking, at least.
- O’Neill x Stab: A Place In The Sun
- Jordy Smith | New World #1
- Bred to Shred 2017
- The Very Best Of Young Gun, Dwight Pastrana
- By A Thread | Russel Bierke
- THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN SURF BRAND
- Jack O’Neill World Memorial Paddle Out
- Jack O’Neill Global Paddle Outs
- I Knew Jack
- Jack O’Neill Memorial Paddle Out
- Dust and the Wind with Torrey Meister
- Baja Bug With Timmy Reyes
- The Skeleton Key
- Surf Muse: Amy Murphree
- Celebration of the Life of Jack O’Neill